The inauguration of the Consulate General of Senegal in Dakhla symbolizes the opening of Morocco to the West African region, said Friday in New York the representative of the Senegalese mission to the UN. Speaking before the 4th Committee of the UN General Assembly, the Senegalese diplomat highlighted his country’s support for the progress made by Morocco on the ground, particularly in the promotion of human rights and democracy as well as the “considerable” efforts made to promote economic development. He noted that Senegal has supported these advances and efforts by the inauguration on April 5, 2021, of its Consulate General in the city of Dakhla, noting that more than 6,000 Senegalese nationals live in the Moroccan Sahara. The diplomat reiterated his country’s support for the Moroccan autonomy initiative as a basis for achieving a “realistic, pragmatic, lasting and compromise political solution” to the Moroccan Sahara issue. The Moroccan initiative will “also make it possible to reach a final solution to the humanitarian situation in the Tindouf camps”, he stressed. He also welcomed the appointment of the new personal envoy of the Secretary General for the Sahara, Staffan de Mistura, wishing him success in his new mission. The Senegalese diplomat said his country “strongly” urges the new personal envoy of the UN Chief for the Moroccan Sahara to resume the process launched by his predecessor, in the same format, as requested by resolutions 2494 and 2548 of the Security Council. “We also urge the parties to remain mobilized in the constructive momentum instilled by the two round tables in Geneva to support the political process carried out under the exclusive auspices of the United Nations, on the basis of the resolutions adopted by the UN Security Council since 2007,” he pointed out.
- FM Holds Talks with his Malian Counterpart
- Govt. Council: Adoption of Draft Decree on Composition of National Commission for Implementation of Security Council Sanctions on Terrorism, Weapons Proliferation
- Government Majority is Homogeneous – Akhannouch –
- First 100 Days of Government Show Clear Signs of Respect for Commitments – Akhannouch –
- Tindouf Camps: International Alliance for Defense of Human Rights and Freedoms Condemns Military Recruitment of Children