The Moroccan autonomy plan “promotes realism and compromise for a lasting solution to the Sahara issue,” said Wednesday in New York, the Ambassador, Deputy Permanent Representative of Sierra Leone to the UN. “Sierra Leone reiterates its support for the Moroccan autonomy initiative since it promotes realism and compromise for a lasting solution to the Sahara issue,” she stressed before the members of the 4th committee of the UN General Assembly. The diplomat reaffirmed her country’s support for the political process conducted under the “exclusive” aegis of the UN Secretary-General aimed at achieving a “lasting and mutually acceptable solution to this regional dispute”. She also welcomed the appointment of Staffan de Mistura as the UN SG’s personal envoy for the Moroccan Sahara, encouraging him to capitalize on this “very important” momentum. Sierra Leone welcomes, in this regard, the holding of the two previous round tables by the parties concerned namely Morocco, Algeria, Mauritania and the Polisario, she said, adding that her country “is impatiently awaiting” a third round table with the resumption of the political process. In addition, the representative of Sierra Leone commended Morocco’s efforts to meet the development and health needs of the populations of the Moroccan Sahara, in particular through access to Covid-19 vaccines.
- Moroccan Sahara: Pedro Sánchez Reiterates Spain’s Position Supporting Autonomy Plan
- Sanchez’s Visit to Morocco, Recognition of Kingdom’s ‘Leading’ Role in Arab World & Africa – Argentine’s Political Scientist –
- Sanchez’s Visit Testifies to Moroccan-Spanish Will to Promote Strategic Partnership – Academic –
- Spanish PM’s Visit to Morocco Reflects ‘Unprecedented’ Momentum of Bilateral Cooperation – Researcher –
- Pedro Sanchez’s Visit to Morocco Fosters Evolution of Morocco-Spain Relations – ECOSOCC Presiding Officer –