Spain’s new stance recognizing that the autonomy plan proposed by Morocco is the most serious, realistic and credible basis for settling the dispute over the Moroccan Sahara enshrines the leadership of the Kingdom, which enjoys relations of trust and transparency with the countries of the region, underlined Italian journalist Costantino Pistilli. The position of the government of Pedro Sanchez “aligns with the new dynamic created in the region after the recognition by the United States in 2020 of Morocco’s sovereignty over its Sahara and the support of various European countries for the Moroccan initiative, in particular France and Germany”, noted Mr. Pistilli in an op-ed published by Italian newspaper “L’opinione Delle Libertà”, noting that “the Moroccan solution will ensure stability, peace and progress for the entire Euro-Mediterranean region”. The Kingdom, gateway to Africa, enjoys “close and constructive relations of cooperation with Western countries, thus contributing to addressing the worrying global challenges, including the fight against terrorism, migration and climate change”, said the journalist, adding that “the Spanish decision will not only relaunch bilateral relations between the two countries but also contribute to the development and prosperity of the region”. “Algeria, which supports the polisario, is facing one of the deepest moments of isolation in its history,” he said, noting that the leader of the puppet entity, Brahim Ghali, said currently the subject of several complaints brought before the Spanish courts for violations of human rights, crimes of terrorism, rape, kidnapping, torture, enforced disappearances and embezzlement of financial and material humanitarian aid provided by NGOs. In a message sent to HM King Mohammed VI, the President of the Spanish Government, Pedro Sánchez, stressed that Spain considers the Moroccan Autonomy Initiative as the most serious, realistic and credible basis for resolving the dispute over the Moroccan Sahara.
- Morocco, Strengthened by Clear Guidelines of HM the King, Will Constantly Support Sudan Stability, Territorial Integrity – FM –
- Spain’s Ruling Party ‘Satisfied’ with High-Level Meeting with Morocco
- Morocco, Strategic Partner, Is Number One Priority of Spain’s Foreign Policy – Spanish FM –
- Strategic Twinning between Rabat, Madrid, Barrier against Maneuvers to Exacerbate Tensions in Mediterranean Region – Writer-journalist –
- AU PSC’s Adoption of “Tangier Declaration”, Recognition of Morocco’s Relevant Multidimensional Approach – Diplomat –